Ever since I was 11 years old, I have had severe scalp seborrheic dermatitis. It comes and goes throughout the year, usually with the more serious flare-ups due to stress and hormones. Unfortunately, one of the side effects I experience from the condition is temporary hair loss, usually around the frontal and temporal regions. I’ve tried many different products to either regrow or coverup with minimal results. When I found the Loreal Magic Root Cover Up while searching through Amazon ($9.99 right now) I figured I would give it a test run. To read my full review plus demo, please continue reading.
Loreal Magic Root Cover Up Review Plus Demo
The Loreal Magic Root Cover Up comes in a 2 oz. spray bottle. The nozzle head has an elongated tube to control the direction of the spray (could you imagine the mess if it didn’t) and targets specific “trouble” areas. Since I have naturally dark hair, I bought mine in the shade dark brown. It comes in 8 shades; Light Blonde, Dark Blonde, Light Golden Brown, Light Brown, Medium Brown, Dark Brown, Red, and Black.
Loreal claims “3 seconds to flawless roots” but honestly, it’s not that quick and easy. There are quite a few steps to get it right and probably 4 – 5 (or more) minutes of drying time depending on the amount you use. If precautions aren’t taken, things can get really messy, really quickly. Hands, fingernails, clothes, and skin are all casualties if you’re unprepared. I seriously advise you to wear protective clothing (a robe for example) and latex-style gloves if you have a manicure you don’t want to possibly ruin. I also advise spraying the Loreal Magic Root Cover Up BEFORE doing your makeup. You will thank me later. If you do happen to get the product on your skin or clothing, it washes off easily with mild soap and water.
Aside from those drawbacks, I am impressed with how natural looking the product is. It hides the thin areas and gaps throughout my hair flawlessly AND covers my stray grey hairs too. Win-Win!! When my hair is up in a pony-tail, it looks more pulled together and chic. Unlike the Batiste Dry Shampoo for Brunettes, the Loreal Magic Root Cover Up doesn’t leave a grey-cast residue. It’s true color all the time. See the demo below for the before and after.
There is a very faint, floral scent that I really enjoy, but I’ve noticed that it varies from bottle-to-bottle. I’m on my 2nd bottle and, ironically, this one has no fragrance at all. 🤷🏻♀️ I don’t know how that could happen, but let’s continue…
Sleeping with this product in my hair is possible, but I have mixed feelings. On one occasion, I had no issues. I woke up with my hair color looking exactly as it did when I went to sleep. On another night, I had a nightmare and woke sweating profusely. When I looked down, I had dark brown color all over my pillowcase and on my sheets. No bueno. If you do decide to sleep with this product in your hair, use an old pillowcase or cover it with a towel. The color came out the sheets with no issue btw.
Overall, I really like the Loreal Magic Root Cover Up. It works great, covers the scalp thoroughly, and looks natural. It can be a HUGE pain though. The disadvantages are significant and may be a complete dealbreaker for some people, understandably. For the price, I do believe it is worth a try if you are self conscience about your hair and scalp or if you want to look your absolute best for a special occasion.
- 8 shades
- Natural looking
- Great coverage for scalp and grey hair
- Pleasant scent
- Stays put, even after sleeping
- Washes out easily
- No grey cast
- Makes me feel confident
- Price is reasonable
- Messy, Messy, Messy!
- Transfers while drying
- Sputters when running low
- Not sweat proof
Thanks so much for checking out my Loreal Magic Root Cover Up Review Plus Demo. Don’t forget to follow my social media for updates on all reviews, as well as mini reviews you won’t see here. Click the links: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Also subscribe to my Youtube here. See you soon!
Products Mentioned and used in the photo above:
- Loreal Magic Root Cover Up – link to every color
- Watt’s Beauty 100% Hyaluronic Acid serum http://amzn.to/2GOmnST
- Elisha Coy Moist Up Serum https://goo.gl/kuZPMg
- Loreal Pro Glow Foundation http://amzn.to/2F23akd
- Physician’s Formula The Healthy Foundation http://amzn.to/2F1h1Y9
- Estee Lauder Doublewear Concealer http://amzn.to/2CPry2J
- Clinique Airbrush Concealer http://amzn.to/2F1hEAZ
- Tarte Park Ave Princess Chisel Palette http://amzn.to/2Farm34
- Natasha Denona Eyeshadow Palette #2 http://amzn.to/2F4VWaX
- Natasha Denona Diamond & Blush Palette Darya http://amzn.to/2t3iSGl
- Loreal Lash Paradise Mascara – Blackest Black http://amzn.to/2GRRE7u
- Anastasia Brow Wiz – Dark Brown/ Brunet http://amzn.to/2F2rJ0u
- Salon Perfect Lashes #615 http://amzn.to/2F0W3bK
- I’m currently working on a review for the $89 Natasha Denona Diamond & Blush Palette. I did a Sephora unboxing with it a few weeks ago and have been using it daily ever since.
- An itchy, mystery rash showed up on my face today.
- Yesterday in Dollar General, I picked up the cutest pig mug. $2 and Love it!!