Since buying my new vanity setup, I’ve had a chance to go through my makeup collection, not only to organize, but to decide what products are worth keeping and which products are worth ditching. I thought it would make an interesting blog post, since some of the most hyped up products on Youtube are on my throw away list. Let’s take a look.
1. The first product is by far one of the most talked about powders on YouTube. Every beauty guru raves about it. It’s a favorite in every video. I just don’t get it. I’m talking about the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders.
They do provide a great “perfected” appearance in photography, but how often are you taking pictures of yourself? Plus, they make your skin look dirty. I want a powder that looks great in pictures AND in person. Instead of the Hourglass Ambient Powders try this!
The MAC Mineralized Skin Finish provides great coverage (for a powder) and looks great in pictures and in person.
2. MAC Iridescent Loose Powder in Silver Dusk has been raved about as the perfect highlighter. However, if you look at it up close, it looks like a disco ball. This size glitter particles are notorious for clogging pores or accentuating breakouts. No beuno!
For a more subtle, healthy look, try this: Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector. I’ve raved about this highlighter in a ton of posts. Try it!
3. The Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pencils. They are extremely hard. Too hard to ever show up on your brows even after several strokes. Since they aren’t retractable you loose a lot of product every time you sharpen.
4. Onto some drugstore products! I’ve heard great things about the Rimmel Scandaleyes Liquid Liner, but for me the tip is very difficult to get used to. It’s a cool concept (thick & thin tip), but any slip of the hand makes a big mess. That can be tricky to clean up since it’s also waterproof. #startallover
Instead, try the Physician’s Formula 2 in 1 Lash Boost Mascara. It has a sturdy brush that doesn’t make a mess and is easier to control for any experience level. I’ve been raving about this product for years and will continue to use till it’s discontinued.
5. Lastly, the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Custom Glow Blush & Bronzer. Neutrogena makes some fantastic products, so when I heard about this I bought it every color. When I tried it out I was so disappointed. The fine, ultra shimmer finish is very unflattering and both blush and bronzer has tons of glitter.
A cheaper product beat this one without question! The ELF Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder is $3 or less, comes in several shades that match any skin tone, and available in matte or shimmer shades. Great product with nearly identical packaging to NARS high-end products. Something to think about!
Thank you so much for checking out my Top 5 Products Not Worth the Hype post. Do you have any products that you think aren’t worth the hype? I would love to hear about them! If you found this blog post helpful or vaguely interesting, Subscribe! It’s fast, free, and might save you some money. At least sometimes. See you soon!
1. Today is Day 2 of my Master Cleanse. I’ve lost 2 pounds already which isn’t enough to write home about, but I’m dedicated to it for at least 10 days. Maybe more depending on my results.
2. Yesterday, I had a Tom Hanks movie day. I watched “The Burbs”, then I watched “Dragnet”, followed by “Big”. It was a lazy Sunday and I really enjoyed the relaxing.
3. I made Jambalaya for my 2 daughters for dinner. That means leftovers tomorrow, which they hate.
4. We’ve had a water leak in our front yard from the local water company’s pipe for over a month. It’s not projectile leakage yet, but it’s on its way. Complaints to the company doesn’t seem to effect their repair speed. Fun times!
5. I did this eyeshadow look for my birthday. I’ll do a tutorial maybe? What do you think?