Every year before Christmas I always go to Ulta to pick up one of their huge Holiday Collection sets. They are a great gift for anyone who loves to play with makeup. My daughter’s both love these to bring to slumber parties and friend’s houses. It’s always a hit.
This year, I picked up 4 – Starry Lights sets and got to keep one for myself. Not because I needed any new makeup but I wanted to do a REAL quality check. How do these stand up to other makeup brands? Are they really worth the money?
For $24.99 (before coupons and sales) you get 76 pieces which Ulta claims is a $175 value. I paid $16 each for mine with a coupon. Since this collection is so big, I’m only going to review one section at a time. This section is specifically for a Ulta Eyeliner Review.
Ulta Eyeliner Review
When I was swatching these, I was surprised by the quality. Some of them are very soft and buttery, while others are like working with crayon. There are several in this collection that are an absolute must-have. In this set you get:
- 5 – Solid color Ulta Eyeliners
- 7 – Glitter/Metallic Ulta Eyeliners
- 2 – Ulta Brow Pencils
Here is the 15 swatches and I’ll go through each color individually.
Ulta Eyeliner Review
From Left to Right: (The spots are from the broken tip of the liner.)
- Ulta Eyeliner in Blackout: Fairly creamy, smooth consistency, and easy to blend. Not the blackest black I’ve ever worked with. Somewhat blotchy. This is a ✖.
- Ulta Eyeliner in Mink: Fairly Creamy, smooth consistency, and easy to blend. Good opaque brown. Fairly blotchy. This is a ✖.
- Ulta Eyeliner in Smoke: A little harder to work with but blends well. Would be a good base color but would not work well as an eyeliner. Too blotchy. This is a ✖.
- Ulta Eyeliner in Plum: This is one of my favorites. Very creamy, smooth and buttery. Color is gorgeous and opaque. This is a ✔✔✔.
- Ulta Eyeliner in Bronze: This is another favorite. Very creamy, smooth and buttery. Unique color! This is a ✔✔✔.
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Priceless: No, no, no! Blotchy – terrible! This is a ✖✖✖✖.
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Lights: No! Bad! Go Away! This is a ✖✖✖✖!
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Paradise: One of my favorites! Rich and smooth color. Easy to apply and highly metallic. Yes! This is a ✔✔✔.
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Golden Egg: Really great color. Good consistency. Smooth and buttery. This is a ✔✔.
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Night Sky: Very black with silver glitter. Strangely, this is one of the only ones with glitter. Buttery consistency. Great base. This is a ✔✔.
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Penny: Good color although not very unique. Still great quality. Buttery, smooth, blends well. This is a ✔✔.
- Ulta Glitter Eyeliner in Aqua: Beautiful and bright. Not as smooth as I’d want but works better when warm. Very pretty as a base or on lower lash line. This is a ✔.
- Ulta Brow Pencil in Warm Brown: Would be great for a redhead but too warm for brunettes. Great consistency and goes on like it should. This is a ✔ for redheads and a ✖ for brunettes.
- Ulta Brow Pencil in Golden Blonde: Great color for Strawberry blondes but too warm for cool blondes. Great consistency and goes on perfect. This is a ✔ for strawberry blondes, redheads. This is a ✖ for everyone else.
So, in retrospect 7 out of 15 is fairly good! Are these Urban Decay quality? Maybe 1 or 2. There are some really beautiful and unique colors I think would appeal to a lot of people.
I would rather spend $16 on this huge Ulta set than spending $20 a piece on Urban Decay. That would total $300.
If you have any questions on these colors – or anything else for that matter, please feel free to contact me below. Thank you so much for reading my Ulta Eyeliner Review.